Wednesday 11 August 2010

Line and other marks

I tried to mix it up as much as possible and use lots of different hand holds, as well as throw different marks and ideas onto the page - some worked, while others didn't.
Graphite; held lightly produces long, soft flowing lines, held firmly you can achieve really quite rich marks. Holding the graphite pencil right at its top end, I tried a sort ot stippling effect but found it very difficult to control where the dots ended up.
Dip pen and ink; held at its top, very loosely, it threw ink quite sporadically over the box creating a blotchy effect where the paper had soaked up the blobs of ink. I held the pen as I would normally and produced thick lines, darker where the pen has first set down on the paper and lighter and finer as you continue the line. I also tried some cross hatching, which gave a very effective result, and quite textured. (Next page of sketchbook.) Held only between finger and thumb at the top and loaded with ink, it produced a messy, blobbed mark on the page - good texture if you run your fingers over it (once it was dry of course!). Then I drew some short, narrow repeated lines over the whole box and found it had a sort of rhythm to it. Next I tilted the pen on its side and scraped it across the page, which again was quite messy because of the amount of ink, but it produced a lovely, abstract mark.
Ball point pen; first trying to shade in circular areas within the square box, it really opened up the negative space for the eye. Then, holding it very loosely at the top end I ran it across the page, which created a very nice fine, scratchy line. I made smaller squares in the next box and filled them in using stippling going from very dark to very light, then blocked in stripes of black. This produced an interesting effect on my eyes - it looked quite 3D, like steps or something similar.
H pencil; I swept the pencil lightly across the page with a curving action all in my wrist, as I was holding the pencil right at its top. It looks so soft, fine and feathery, like it's almost not there. Then I drew lines diagonally across the next box, which somehow I think helps the eye focus on the negative space around the lines. You can see why this type of pencil is used for professional drafting, it makes very precise lines and seems to naturally want to go in a straight line when held near its tip. I tried creating a 3D, textured effect by shading around circles. It looked kind of like bubble wrap. I do think a softer pencil would be better for this kind of thing, lending itself more to being blended.
Fineliner; I created a rain-like mark with this pen holding it at its top, very lightly running it up at a slight angle. The marks were heaviest at the bottom and almost transparent at the top. The repeated curved lines in the next example are quite pleasing to the eye. I tried a sort of fine feathered shading on each line, just to add to the pattern. Next I shaded in a quick drawing of an ink pot using cross hatching. The fineliner is pretty good for this.
9B pencil; splitting the box into sections I cross hatched each to create tone. Pencils are perfect for this. Then I held the pncil right at its top and tried to draw a spiral in the box, but found it difficult to draw a smooth, curved line. Instead it has quite a lot of angles to it. I next repeated a leaf pattern, holding the pencil firmly. It produced an intensely dark line - I imagine a great tool for doing quick sketching.
Fibre-tip pen; shaky, broken lines were created by holding the pen at its top. Not much control. With a firm hold you can produce prominent, bold lines. I repeated a zig zagging line diagonally across one box - it was really quite uncomfortable for my eyes to look at it afterwards. An intense effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment