Monday 22 November 2010

Research Point - Patrick Caulfield

Whether or not Patrick Caulfield was pleased with his categorisation of Pop Artist, his work without doubt had the credentials to fit into this bracket. He used screen printing techniques in the most part for highlighting commonplace objects, but using bright and often primary colours and black outline so that they burst out of the canvas. The viewer is almost certainly surprised by how striking such a mundane item such as a lamp, can be. (More info in my sketchbook.)
I enjoyed doing the piece in the style of Caulfield. It was a break from my usual style and it was an opportunity to look at the shapes of my subjects in a totally different way. I didn't need to focus on their every detail, just mainly their shape and shadow. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment