Monday 22 November 2010

Reflected light

The objects I chose were metallic and therefore very reflective. It was a bright day and I placed the objects on a white surface. I thought a white surface might make it easier to see the cast shadow. The reflection of the drinking flask can be very clearly seen in the metal surface of the tin, as the metals were quite different from one another - the tin very shiny, almost mirror-like, and the flask quite matt but still relatively reflective.The reflected light from the window created white bands across the objects, and these white bands in turn were then reflected between the two. They also cast shadows onto one another. I held the charcoal quite loosely and contacted the paper very lightly to get the the reflected light. I was able to make quite dark lines by brushing the paper firmly with the charcoal to create the darker cast shadows.

The question in the brief asks "What are the difficulties in separating cast shadow from reflected light and shade?" I find this really quite hard to explain in words - too absract a question!? Or am I readin into it too much? Will ask Emma.

The reflections of shadow and light are pretty distorted because of the curves of the objects, but I followed the contours as well as I could by looking carefully and marking the light areas by cross hatching very gently over the paper, or where there was shadowed areas, more firmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment