Wednesday 7 December 2011

PART 5: OBSERVATION IN NATURE: Exercise: Looking closer


I focused on an area of my drawing with the most dramatic tonal differences, around the eye socket. I used oil pastel and acrylic paint for this blown up drawing on A1 paper. Weirdly (or not?) I found that this drawing took on it's own personality and began to look like something completely different - especially because I chose quite vivid, garish colours. There's something elephant-like about it, the boney brow perhaps, and the eye socket becoming an elephant's great ear. I was certainly surprised by this. I was aware beforehand that the drawing may take on a more abstract look but wasn't prepared for it to actually remind me of something in particular. It also made me think of Georgia O'Keefe's close up paintings of flowers...
... which then led me to find this by the amazing American artist... What a coincidence!



No comments:

Post a Comment