Wednesday 3 August 2011

PART FOUR: DRAWING FIGURES: Project: Proportions


For the Quick Poses exercise my sister Jo sat lengthways across a large armchair with her feet up and more or less sideways on to me. The first 5 quick poses of 2 minutes started off laughable but improved towards the end. The pose was maybe a little unusual, because although she was perfectly comfortable something about the drawings made her look as though she wasn't! For the slightly longer 10 minute poses I used her head as a unit of measurement and yet still in one of them her head looks too large.

Getting the proportions accurate is the biggest hurdle for me - I am now finding drawing in the main outlines and shapes of figures easier after attending life drawing classes, but proportions are still a slow uphill climb. I wonder if using a grid will help with drawings like this? Or perhaps using stronger/darker lines across the page to accentuate the units of measurement? I can always rub them out if they hinder the drawing. I actually found that once I'd moved my position and drawn Jo from almost behind her, so that there was a huge amount of foreshortening going on, it was a more successful drawing. Strange...

The Longer Pose exercise was an hour long with Jo curled up in the same chair, head to one side. I used ballpoint pen because I knew I could get really good differences in tone with some hatching. Her face is a little squished because of the angle and the fact that it's resting on the side of the chair, but otherwise I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the proportions aren't too bad. Maybe her hand is a little bit too small. I had much more time to measure the proportions with this longer pose, and it clearly helped a lot.     (Apologies - the photos are not great.)

No comments:

Post a Comment