Thursday 4 August 2011

PART FOUR: DRAWING FIGURES: Project: Gesture


I could improve my 2-5 minute stance drawings by doing a wee bit of measuring to help get the proportions right. The better ones I've done are not of the full body, so I've focused on a smaller area or the parts that interest me in particular about the gesture of the pose. For example, in the one above left, I liked the drama in the pose and the feminine sexual energy in it - I don't think I needed to add much more in a way, the gesture was there without needing to exaggerate anything.


I'm not entirely sure whether drawing a line to indicate the models central axis was particularly helpful to me personally - I reckon it would be more helpful on a longer pose because with these quick poses I'm really just trying to get a feel for the gesture the model is making, but with a longer pose I would definitely be more concerned about balance and where and how the mass of the body lies. But, I will do some more sketches with a central axis line through to see if it becomes more helpful to me with more practice.

I've enjoyed trying to capture the energy of people's movements (it's particularly interesting in our local park now that the schools have finished for the summer - children have so much energy and do not stop moving!) Because of the rapidity that I need to draw to capture these gestures, I only manage a few lines and mostly that's enough. It often helps a bit to indicate some sort of direction of movement, either by sweeping lines or arrows. In life drawing classes there's a particular model who is very fluid in her 5 minute poses (and actually she finds it difficult to stay still for any longer than 5 minutes, hate to sound criticising!) and you get quite a good grasp of what her character may be like from this - very active in general, or perhaps a little restless and easily bored, her mind elsewhere.

If I can encapsulate the kind of energy Picasso captures in many of his drawings, example the litho below called La Ronde, or Matisse in his cutout of Flowing Hair then I'd be a happy bunny. I need more emphasis on broad strokes, and less defined outline I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment